Saturday, December 17, 2011

An early Christmas Gift!




I received an early Christmas present - one of those parental pay days! My oldest graduated from college today! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel, but sure enough I felt pretty proud and excited as a proud papa should be.

Sometimes I wonder if I had never married, never experienced fatherhood... that was, indeed, a real possibility. But naively, I married and eventually parenthood followed. This child, in particular, has faced amazing challenges from the very beginning - physical, emotional, spiritual, and social challenges that would have completely stopped me (and most anyone else)but she's a survivor, a fighter, an amazing woman. What a blessing!

There's an emotional wave coming over me as I put all the feelings together of watching this significant achievement in her life. You worry and fret and push and pull and route for your children to grow and succeed and find their own path into adulthood... and you wonder if it will ever happen, and then it finally does. Now the waves of anxiety over the potential of future opportunities of where life will go from here come forward as reality hits that it's over and real life starts.

That's for another day. Right now, I'm just so excited and pleased for this, her personal goal, obtained. It's been a struggle with times when we thought this day would never be realized. But what an example of perseverance, hard work, self resolve and personal sacrifice to make it to the end.

And now a beginning!

yes... proud indeed...

What a great gift!

5 comments:

ControllerOne said...

Congratulations!

MoHoHawaii said...

This is great! Congratulations!

Bravone said...

Congratulations Beck! I'm at the same stage of life right now and it's certainly a mixed bag of emotions. Savor the joy of this positive event!

Ti voglio bene. Buon Natale!

Ned said...

Congratulations to the grad and her dad!

Beck said...

To you all, thanks for the congrats! She's doing great and it is such a joy to see her blossom into such a great young woman.